If you’re just entering the world as a virtual assistant, the onslaught of different tasks thrown at you can quickly become overwhelming. In this article I’ll show you 4 of the most important tips you should follow as a VA to maximize your success and minimize your stress.
Know your Strengths and Weaknesses
To become a successful virtual assistant, you need to have confidence. You could try to fake it till you make it, through this strategy will cause more problems than it solves in the long run.
You need to have a very clear idea of what your skills are and, more importantly, which ones can help you to become a better VA.
- Every client will look for someone who will add value to their business; so you need to be motivated, innovative and efficient.
- You will need to be thick skinned. Clients will criticise you and call you out for bad work, be ready to take it and remember to be professional.
- Be adaptable and accessible; as a virtual assistant you will need to adjust your routine and keep up with the work that your clients have for you.
Be ready to l
Never stop learning, whether it’s graphics design, transcription, internet marketing, social media management etc. Strengthen your fundamental skills so you become a well rounded VA.
Remember to look into your client’s company. Find out how you can help them to do their job better. Is there anything that they missed? Going the extra mile will show them that you are professional. This will help you to keep good clients!
The following are the most common skills expected of a good VA:
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing and Management.
- Search Engine Optimization
- Market Research
- Content Development and Marketing
- Web Development
You need to pinpoint the areas in which you have a certain level of expertise and develop them.
Communication is key
Communication is an extremely important part of becoming a good VA.
- If you don’t understand something, ask.
- If the clients instructions aren’t clear, ask.
- If you would like to set clear work parameters, tell them when they hire you.
- If the client needs to know something, tell them.
- If you mess up, admit your mistake to them and fix it.
- Give them regular progress updates as well.
- Ask them for regular feedback.
Remember to have clear communication channels and plan your meetings before you have them. It will stop you from forgetting key issues that you needed to discuss.
Plan, Plan and Manage your time!
Planning is key, we cannot stress this point enough. You will be tasked with a number of jobs, these jobs will increase with the number of clients that you have.
To remain productive and reduce the chances of mix ups and mistakes, you need to be organised. Clients want efficient virtual assistants, you don't want to let them down.
- Schedule tasks
- Plan ahead
- Have clear checklists
- Make notes during your meetings with clients
Good planning comes with good organization. Make sure your workspace is optimized for productivity and ergonomics.
Make use of modern Tech
Making use of the latest technology will be a big part of your job.
- You can use Google Drive and DropBox to organise and share documents. Just remember to check that your client knows how to use them! Don’t assume anything.
- There are a number of task management apps out there. You need to use them, they can help you to keep track of your assignments and meet deadlines.
- Software like ‘Sweet Process’ will allow your clients to give you step by step instructions. If you’re client doesn’t already use it, or you like it, you can always ask them to.
Being a virtual assistant has its challenges, though with the proper mindset and organization, can be a rewarding job that constantly pushes you to learn and grow.